What is the FMCSA Clearinghouse?
FMCSA Clearinghouse is a centralized online database containing records of DOT FMCSA drug and alcohol program violations. The searchable, real-time database allows (REQUIRES!) employers to screen and query commercial drivers for any violations of drug and alcohol program.
You can read more about Clearinghouse on the FMCSA Website here or scroll down
DOT Clearinghouse Goes into Effect In:
To Whom Does the Clearinghouse Rule Apply?
- Employers, employees, service agents that are required to comply with DOT and FMCSA drug and alcohol testing requirements:
49 CFR Part 40
49 CFR Part 382 and 383
- Includes Employers, employees, service agents in Mexico and Canada as well as Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) holders and Owner Operators.
What Information Does the Clearinghouse Contain?
- A verified positive, adulterated, or substituted drug test result
- An alcohol confirmation test with a concentration of 0.04 or higher
- A refusal to submit to any test required by 382 subpart C
- An Employer’s report of actual knowledge as defined in 382.107
- A Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) report of successful completion of the Return to Duty process
- A negative return to Duty test result
- An Employer’ s report of completion of Follow‐Up Testing
What Does the Clearinghouse Not Contain?
- Records from DOT agencies other than FMCSA
- Non‐DOT test results
- Results verified before 1/6/2020
- Negative test results –
- Except Return to Duty
- SAP reports and follow up plans
How is Driver Information Tracked in Clearinghouse?
Drivers are identified by the Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) number and State of Issuance (not SSN)
Can I perform Clearinghouse Obligations Myself?
Unless you hold a CDL and are a driver, you can do this on your own. Your cost is merely the $1.25 per query that FMCSA charges – plus your time. If you opt to do it yourself, then you need to learn what’s required. Once you see the requirements (There ARE requirements!), you may decide you want help.
Employer’s Immediate Action Steps for FMCSA Clearinghouse
Register as an Employer
Get CDL Drivers to Register
Get Employee Consent
What We Include with our FMCSA Clearinghouse Support
- Unlimited consultation for all Clearinghouse matters
- Sample Consent Forms
- Sample Confidentiality Agreement
- Required Annual Query
- Required Pre-Employment Queries
- Violation Reporting
- Clearinghouse Registration Support Assistance
- Reporting of negative RTD test
- Reporting of successful completion of Follow-up Testing